We all use and benefit from the products of chemistry every day – in more ways than we sometimes realize. From the batteries in our digital cameras, to airbags and child safety seats in our cars, to live-saving medical devices, chemistry is an essential part of our everyday lives and it makes possible countless innovations.
ACC Responsible Care companies are confident in the products of chemistry and want those who process and use products made with chemicals to have confidence in their safety and benefits as well.
For the past 25 years, our member companies have championed Responsible Care®, an industry initiative focused on the safe, responsible, sustainable management of chemicals. Responsible Care is the chemical industry’s world-class performance initiative through which companies commit to the continuous improvement in environmental, health, safety and security performance.
Now, at the 25th Anniversary of Responsible Care, ACC member companies have adopted a new Product Safety Code that champions transparency and accountability for chemical products. Based on existing industry best practices, this Product Safety Code goes above and beyond regulatory requirements to manage the safety of chemicals along their life cycles.
What does the Product Safety Code mean for the chemical industry, and, more importantly, for consumers? It’s simple. The Code is a commitment ACC members have made to continuously evaluate and improve their product safety performance.
The Product Safety Code is a public pledge to implement 11 industry best practices. Adherence to these practices will be mandatory for ACC member companies and regularly verified by independent auditors.
Specifically, the Product Safety Code requires companies to:
- Manage the safety of their products, from inception to use, reuse, recycling and disposal.
- Undertake scientific analyses of their products, with close consideration of how they are used by all consumers, especially children.
- Provide public access to product safety information, so consumers understand what chemicals are in the products they use every day.
- Share information all along the supply chain so that products can be used safety.
- Continuously evaluate new information that may have product safety implications.
- Take corrective measures if they discover improper practices involving a product.
Making safe and innovative products is at the core of ACC’s mission. On this 25th anniversary of Responsible Care, the Product Safety Code will serve to drive performance and bring focus to this important issue.